Studio Gariboldi is pleased to present a retrospective exhibition dedicated to Mirko Basaldella (1910-1969), displaying an important selection of bronze sculptures created in the 1950s and 1960s.
From an early age Mirko learned how to whittle wood together with his brothers Dino and Afro at his uncle’s shop in Udine. He studied in Venice, Florence and then in Monza, where he met Arturo Martini, an Italian master who would guide him for several years. In 1933 he moved to Rome and set up a studio with his good friend Corrado Cagli, whose sister Serena he later married. Mirko’s revelation to the art world occurred during the Roman Quadrennial of 1935 (in 1966 he would win the first prize) where he displayed a selection of sculptures. It would be, however, his first solo show at the Galleria della Cometa that gave full measure to a new and important presence in the world of Italian sculpture.